Friday, March 27, 2009

almost better

I still have a little cough, but I feel pretty good. What a long, awful illness.

Yesterday I cleaned part of the kitchen from top to bottom. I would like to do a 'zone' a day until I get a good spring cleaning done all over the house. Karl built a couple of shelves in the laundry room that hold my two big pressure canners, which creates more space in my laundry room while also keeping my canners easily accessed, safe from the kids and clean.

All the laundry-room cleaning and rearranging will create a permanent wall-mount space for my new grain mill. I can't wait! It will be motorized and of course hand-crank is always an option. I found a good price on whole wheat, both hard winter & soft wheat, so I ordered some. I have my new buckets ready and waiting- 6 new 5-gallon buckets with gamma lids. I hope I can get used to making tortillas with my own freshly ground flour.

I am kicking the dryer out of my life. It is barely functioning, and it destroys clothes regularly, but I use it here and there because it is in the room, you know? Not anymore. When Karl gets home today he is capping the gas there and removing the accursed thing. No more dryer. I don't have one. I have two beautiful 75ft clotheslines. I need more clothesline, really- last year I had three 75 foot lines. But the tree the third went to is dead and needs cutting down, so no line. The two 75ft lines hold about 4 loads of laundry. I do about 3 a day, but if I miss a day and want to do more in one day I run out of space.

It is so spring. In the next 6 weeks, we'll be: planting green beans, picking asparagus, eating garden salads, thinning beets, raising broilers, and planting tomatoes. Then summer. Canning, dehydrating, creek-visiting and garden-tending summer.

Our pigs go 'to town' April 7th. We are so excited!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...