Sunday, March 08, 2009

Tristan read his first chapter book all by himself.

For those of you who don't know Tristan, he has been reading since he was 3 and a half. He knew most of his letters before 18 months and knew their sounds before two. He was writing at 3.5, too, and drawing. So at 6 and a half it seems almost a little late on his timeline to be reading his first chapter book. But I am so proud. Until now Tristan hasn't caught the reading bug, if you know what I mean. He has read incredibly long passages from websites (about how to cheat at his video games, actually) and kept up with subtitled storylines in his complex games, and online. He can read anything. He is about 35 pages into Harry Potter and The Sorcerers Stone. But it is only now that he read The Magic Treehouse: Dinosaurs Before Dark and followed the plot to the point of suspense... I heard him say to himself "I hope they make it home before dark!" as he turned a page. The the next chapter was called "Home Before Dark" and as he read that he exclaimed, "They do! They do!".  He was able to tell me the entire story in his own words. He can't wait for the next book. It is so exciting! So far, the way I home school is by tapping into areas that make the kids happy and following those muses. So here is another. It's going to be fun.

All kinds of thanks to Phoebe who turned me onto this book series.

We only have the one book, which I got from Paperback Swap. But I will have to get more pronto!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...