Saturday, November 28, 2009

Canning Meat

(Sorry I didn't make an entry yesterday... )

Today I am canning meat. When Karl and his friends cut up the calf, they saved about 20 pounds of the best lean meat for me to can. I have canned with meat, but not just meat. I have my trusty USDA book out and it looks easy.

The meat from this calf is beautiful and clean. You can't find meat this color in the stores. We have yet to try any, but I have considered taking a cube or two and sauteing it for a minute on each side and trying it. Maybe today while I am canning.

The recipe I am using is just a raw pack cubed meat. 1 tsp of salt per quart, add raw meat leaving 1" headspace. Adjust lids and process 90 minutes at 10 pounds. I will take pictures of my experience and share them.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...