Saturday, February 13, 2010

Assorted Old Songs

Do you know Alasdair Roberts' music? I hold all renditions of Sweet William's Ghost up to his golden standard. But all of his music is spellbinding to me. You can listen to some for free here. If you don't want to mess with that, here is a direct link to Lord Gregory (Irish) Sweet William's Ghost is harder to find online, but here is a live performance.

I lean decidedly English when it comes to ballads. I say this based on a handful of maybe 10 that come to mind, 7 of them being English in origin. Still these kinds of old songs are never just English, or Irish or Scottish, and sometimes they are older than any of those.

You have probably guessed by now that I know very little about popular music. There was a short time in my life when I did, but I think the true test of that span is that I listen to none of that which was popular then, even now. It was not lasting, it was fleeting. Good things last.

Like Ewan MacColl. Not English (although there is some controversy surrounding his Scottishness) I love his voice.

There's Barry Dransfield. The Werewolf and Girl of Dances (from his early self-titled album detailed here) are my favorites.

And Tim Eriksen. He has a version of Little Margaret (Scottish, I believe) that is beautiful, but the video below is all I could drum up on You Tube. Here, look, you can listen to the whole album, including Sweet William & Little Margaret, here. I highly recommend you do.




Below is one of Tristan's favorite songs. We sing it together a lot.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...