Friday, April 30, 2010

Anatoly and I planted bean seeds.

The first interaction:

Me: Here are the seeds. I dig the holes. You put one seed in each hole, okay? Then, we cover them.

Toly: Okay. I put them in.

Me, having dug holes: Okay, your turn.

Toly: It does matter which one?

Me: It does not matter which bean you put in which hole, just put one in each hole, okay?

Toly: Okay. [puts beans in]

Me: Now, cover.

Toly: Okay! [covers]

Then, for the rest of the time, we must repeat this exact conversation all the way down the row. If I falter, Toly corrects me. Even if there is only one bean to put in, we must say

Toly: It does matter which one?

Me: It does not matter which one...

The whole time, as he held the seeds and covered with soil, his hands shook. I have come to understand that they are not shaking out of any nervous issue. His hands shake like that when he is trying his best to concentrate. He must honestly be having a very hard time holding on to what he is supposed to do with the seeds.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...