Saturday, November 06, 2010

A Simple Refashion, out of necessity

This morning, my husband Karl had an upset tummy but needed to get out of the house early for a weekend expo. I skittered outside (barefoot... what was I thinking?) in the frost to find the peppermint, frozen stiff, and make tea. He needed to leave with it right away so I made it in a wide-mouth mason jar, loose-leaf, with a lid. Then, in less than 30 seconds, I found a thickly felted sweater (I have many boxes of them in every color) and made a cozy for the jar so he wouldn't burn himself.

This was actually Karl's idea a few weeks ago, but for my milk jars. I milk a cow and sell raw milk in 1/2 gallon jars. When we pack them for customers the sleeves might protect the jars from rattling. I have not created them for the milk yet but now I just may.


I think some simple embroidery or applique would turn these quart jar + sleeves into lovely gifts, perhaps filled with herbal tea leaves or even homemade 'just add hot milk' cocoa mix. The best part is, because they are pre-felted, they are machine washable and dry-able. If you are reading this and on my holiday radar, you may have spoiled your surprise!


This one will be an anniversary gift for Karl (the one he took to work was plain). I intend to decorate it with white wool felt applique in the fashion of a Romneya coulteri flower. Our third son is named after this flower, Karl's very favorite bloom. Today we celebrate 9 years since he took me to the top of a mountain in Santa Barbara and asked me to marry him. I said yes.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...