Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Georgiana

We have chosen a name for the new baby. Normally we would keep it a secret until it was absolutely certain, but these days we have several fully functional 'town criers' telling the world just about anything they overhear in our house. We went to Church the Sunday after choosing a first name and people in the narthex greeted me with "Nice name!" before I could even open my mouth.

I don't hold it against Kassi, the town-crier in chief. She is so excited about her baby sister you can see the energy radiating from her. So much joy! They will be 9 years apart, but Kassi has been waiting for this sister for many years and cannot contain her happiness.

The name is:

St. George
Georgiana Ethel Fae 

For those interested:
Georgiana
Ethel
Fae

We are not solid on the spelling for Fae yet. We also like Faye and Fay. It doesn't really matter, those Middle English names can be spelt however you like.

Ethel is for my Great-grandmother, Ethel Susan. Her husband also had a beautiful name: Cossie Quillen. But I knew them as Granny and Poppy, and they died when I was 7 or 8. Poppy first, then Granny soon after. I still have plenty of good memories, especially of Sunday dinners. Granny taught me to sew tee-pees of fabric from her quilting projects and she let me look through her brooches. She had a lot of brooches.

We intend to call her Georgi for short. The kids already call her that when they run up to me and hug my belly.

She will be Baptized for Saint George and celebrate her name day on April 23rd. Anatoly also has this name day, for his saint was present at the martyrdom of St. George and was martyred the same day.

God raised you as his own gardener, O George,
for you have gathered for yourself the sheaves of virtue.
Having sown in tears, you now reap with joy;
you shed your blood in combat and won Christ as your crown.
Through your intercessions, forgiveness of sins is granted to all.
We've already received some mixed reviews of the name choice, which always baffle me. I have never in my life responded to someone, upon hearing the name they have chosen for their child, the way some have responded to me over the years. Sigh.

For what it is worth, all the people who told me Kassiopeia was 'too long' and 'too hard to spell' and warned me that Kassi would never be able to spell it... those people were all wrong. Kassiopeia loves her name. And we needed her little sister to have a name that equalled Kassi's. I really feel like Georgiana fits the bill.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...