Thursday, February 06, 2014

Bengkung


Today I made the bengkung for after the birth. The image above is of it very loosely tied over my huge belly. I figured if it fit this way it would certainly fit later. I used about 5 yards of 45" fabric, torn into 7" wide strips and sewn together at the ends. It's long. 

The fabric I used is cotton a friend gave me some time ago. It is very, very thin shirting and super-soft. 

The sunny color makes me think of the spring that will come right around the end of my first month with baby. 

I was also going to make one of the modern bengkung, with the loops and straps built in, but I think this will do. I have more fabric if I need to make another one. It wasn't a big project. 

Before it is done I need to make a soft, cloth panel to go under the wrapping. I have some pima cotton that will be really nice. Traditionally, oils and spices would be put against the skin under the wrap.

It is not unheard of to wear such a wrap now, during late pregnancy, loosely like I have it. I am wearing it right now as I type and it does feel really nice on my back. 

Here is a link to an etsy seller who makes these

My 9 year old daughter Kassi helped me tie it and pledges to help each day after the birth. She is such a cute fellow nester. 

Joining Tami's Amis for FO Friday. 


Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...